… is in the centre of the Municipality of Ljubljana, south west of the Ljubljana castle on the left river bank of Ljubljanica river. Trnovo has long been known for its low buildings and houses with big vegetable gardens that supplied vegetables to the Ljubljana food market.
… has been declared a cultural and historical landmark as early as 1986. In the beginning of the 1980s the tall residential buildings were built at Ziherlova and Karunova Streets that have significantly changed the image of old Trnovo. The most picturesque and frequently visited is the Eipprova Street near the Gradaščica river, with its old chestnut tree avenue.
Eipprova street is today a popular location of Ljubljana residents, since it is just a step outside the old town, where you can enjoy the rich gastronomic offer until late at night.
Pizzeria Trnovski Zvon
Trnovski pristan, designed by the famous architect Jože Plečnik, is a uniqe architectural creation and one of the prettiest promenades in Ljubljana, with its great stone staircase, cascading to the river. In recent years it has also become a popular place to hang out. Among the younger generation the term “Ljubljana beach” can be heard to describe it on sunny summer days.
The Church of Trnovo (240 m)
Trnovo is also known for the Church of Trnovo (the church of St. John the Baptist), where the poet France Prešeren first met his love Julija Primic. He dedicated the Wreath of Sonnets to his unfulfilled love. Slovenian writer Fran Saleški Finžgar was also a priest in the Church of Trnovo for many years.
Trnovo Church, originally built in the mid-18th century, was reconstructed in Neo-Historical style in 1855 and renovated after the earthquake of 1895 in Neo-Romanesque style. It is linked to the name of the poet France Prešeren, since it was here that he met his great love, Julija Primic, to whom he dedicated his most beautiful poems. The interior of the church features a beautiful altar image of St John the Baptist by the Baroque painter V.Metzinger, two wall paintings by M.Sternen, a wooden statue of the heart of Jesus by F.Kralj, several Plečnik works of art and a pipe organ dating from 1864 by Goršič, a local man from Krakovo.
In front of the Church of Trnovo there is a bridge over the Gradaščica river, one of very few in Europe, on which trees grow.
Trnovo Bridge’s other adornments include massive balustrades, two rows of short columns and Nikolaj Pirnat’s stone statue of St. John the Baptist, the patron of the Trnovo Church. The Bridge’s most remarkable decorative element are two rows of birch trees planted into the bridge. At the sides, the Bridge is covered with roughly finished stone blocks. On the end facing the suburb of Krakovo, there is stone plaque carrying the name “Krakovo”, and on the end facing the suburb of Trnovo a plaque saying “Trnovo”
The famous and internationaly recognized architect Jože Plečnik lived in Trnovo. He was known for his designs of the Triple bridge, Ljubljana market and the Žale cemetary, and he also designed chalices. In his house the Ljubljana Architecture Museum set up a permanent Plečnik collection.
The KUD France Prešeren theatre is known for its alternative scene and the annual Trnfest festival. The festival is organised as part of the theatre festival, taking place in Ljubljana every summer holiday and is known throughout Europe.
Some sources suggest that the Commendery of the Teutonic Knight order replaced the older Templar outpost, which is believed to have been on this location between 1167 and 1200. Former monastery premises now boast a new solemn look and have become one of the central performance venues in Ljubljana.
…is a museum, engaged in the preservation and studying of the Ljubljana historical heritage. The museum is located in the Turjaška palace near Križanke, at the Trg Francoske revolucije.
is a part near Ljubljanica river, between the Trnovski pristan and the new bridge, which leads to the Botanical gardens. This used to be a swimming area, but today it is a great place to enjoy your time off.